Cinnamon roll, also known as the cinnamon bun, is a north European food. It is a quickly made, elegant-looking and delicious food. It’s considered a bakery product as it’s called a sweet and puffy pastry. Usually served in Scandinavian countries such as Norway, Sweden, and Denmark. Therefore, it has different names in each of those countries.
Traditionally, cinnamon rolls consist of sugar, butter, and yeast-based dough; hence, it is considered a pastry. One can have it as breakfast or for dessert. However, if you are willing to make it, there are easy and delicious, cinnamon rolls might be a perfect choice to uplift moods. It is a go-to food item that can be a perfect snack for you and your family.
And if you have no idea how to make them, you need not worry. Here we will be discussing an easy cinnamon roll recipe so that you and your family can have the perfect snack. You can also try other easy to cook food recipes if you’re bored and clueless.
What are cinnamon rolls?
Cinnamon rolls or cinnamon buns are fluffy, flaky, and sweet puff pastries that people generally eat in Scandinavia. A sugar-filling-based pastry made with sweet baked dough. First, the dough is shaped, rolled and cut into small pieces. Then the dough is baked, fried, or deep-fried, depending on your preference. The sweet dough and the butter coating on the pastry make it delicious. But it’s the mixture of sugar and cinnamon that gives it a unique taste.
You can buy cinnamon rolls from the store or market, but it is usually fun to make your puff pastry. Like most puff pastry, it is rolled and later added with sugar and cinnamon mixture. Cinnamon rolls can be of different types, and the ingredients of the recipe are a bit flexible. As there are different kinds of cinnamon roll recipes, there are different kinds of cinnamon rolls. These include caramel cinnamon rolls, spiced cinnamon rolls, peach cobbler cinnamon rolls, cheese cinnamon rolls, and many more.
You can experiment a bit with the fillings and toppings you had, of course, the basics being the same. You can also make keto cinnamon rolls. Although the keto cinnamon roll recipe is a bit different, the methods are identical. Keto cinnamon rolls are a delicious snack and are suitable as a ketogenic diet.
Did you know the origin of cinnamon rolls?
Cinnamon roll, also known as cinnamon buns or cinnamon snails, is a Scandinavian food that means Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, or Finnish people eat it. Cinnamon can be dated back to 2000 BC. In Sweden, it is called Kanelbulle, and in Norway, it is called Skillingsboller, Kanelsnurr, or Kanelbolle. While in Denmark, it is called Kanelsnegl, and in Finland, it is called Korvapuusti.
The cinnamon roll invention dates back to the 17th century. The discovery of it may have been earlier than that, but it was perfected in the 17th century after the invention of sugar, yeast, spices, and carbs. Before that, there was a cinnamon roll recipe with no yeast. The invention of cinnamon rolls was possibly in Sweden, where on the 4th of October, they celebrate National Cinnamon Bun Day. Cinnamon buns in the Scandinavian countries are not as sweet as, say, in the US.
What Ingredients are required for making cinnamon rolls
Every recipe requires some ingredients, as the correct ingredients with the proper quantity make the perfect cinnamon rolls.
- Firstly you will need a cup of warm milk heated to 45 degrees C or 110 degrees F
- Two eggs are optional depending on your choice if you are vegetarian and want cinnamon roll recipe eggless. You can use other substitutes or alternatives such as flax and chia seeds, acids and bicarbonates of soda, and cream cheese.
- One-third of a cup of melted butter.
- One teaspoon of salt.
- Four and a half cups of bread flour.
- Three ounces of softened cream cheese.
- One-fourth of a cup of softened butter.
- Half a cup of white sugar.
- One and a half cups of icing sugar or confectioners’ sugar.
- One teaspoon vanilla.
- Two and a half teaspoons of yeast.
- One cup of packed brown sugar.
- Two and a half tablespoons of ground cinnamon.
Steps for making cinnamon rolls
After gathering all the ingredients, it is essential to follow the cinnamon roll recipe steps carefully.
- The first step to it is making the dough:
- You need to warm to milk to the given temperature, which is 45 degrees C or 110 degrees F.
- Take a ceramic bowl full of water to make the proof box for the dough.
- You need to put yeast, one tablespoon of sugar, and salt in the bowl, which you can mix with a dough hook attachment.
- Then pour the milk on the yeast. It should be of the right temperature compatible with the milk. The best way to check the temperature of the milk is by using your figures. If it is barely warm or looks warm, it is the perfect temperature to pour it in.
- Letting the mixture of milk and yeast rest is an important part. You can let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes which will help it increase and rise. In the meantime, you may whisk or mix the rest of the sugar, salt, and flour in a bowl. You can have eggs in the recipe if you want to beat it and keep them aside, or you can avoid using eggs if you are a vegetarian. When the mixture of yeast and milk looks foamy or fluffy, add one-third of a cup of melted butter. And then, add the beaten eggs into the bowl and slowly mix it with a paddle attachment.
- When the mixture is well mixed and blended, add two cups of flour and sugar mixture, and keep adding until the dough becomes stiff. Then continue adding the flour mixture and keep blending it till the stiffness is gone. Continue to mix and blend the dough with the dough hook until the dough quickly pulls away from the dough hook and starts to form strings. Then take out the dough, put it in a bowl and let it rest.
- Take a large ceramic bowl and then coat it with butter or coconut oil. Then place the dough into the butter or oil-coated bowl and roll, and turn it to coat the dough with butter on every side. Cover it with a damp towel and put it inside the oven. Check it after about an hour, and it should rise and must be double in size.
- Now comes the part where you knead the dough. Then take out the dough, put it onto a floured board and then knead it with your hand for approximately one or two minutes to flatten it. Next, make it into two halves and create approximately 12” x 12” rectangles.
- Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Spread the dough with softened butter, and then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture onto it. Then roll the dough up like a pinwheel. Then place them into greased pan.
- It is better to leave a little space between them as they will rise and become fluffy. Cover them with damp towels and keep them in the oven and let them rise for 30, 60, or even 90 minutes. The period depends on what looks and texture you want. Then put then into the oven for 20 to 30 minutes until it’s golden brown.
- You can also put cheese or butter and cream after baking, depending on your choice. So you can experiment with it a bit.
Your cinnamon rolls are ready for you to enjoy.